Evaluating the feasibility of switching to catch-and-release shark derbies in Nova Scotia: fisher and public opinions, legislation, and policy
The first step is to assess the feasibility of switching to catch-and-release. Major research questions include:
- How have other countries made the switch to catch-and-release?
- What lessons can Canada learn from these case studies?
- What are the current barriers to catch-and-release?
- How can catch-and-release derbies contribute to science and remain fun?
- How do recreational fishers and the public feel about moving to catch-and-release?
- What are their concerns and how might these be addressed?
My study will evaluate the feasibility of moving to catch-and-release shark derbies and compare Canadian legislation and policy on recreational shark fishing to other countries.
The aim of my master’s research is to develop a management plan outlining the next steps on the way to catch-and-release.
Tonya Wimmer (World Wildlife Fund)
Dr. Boris Worm (Dalhousie University)
TYPE/STATUS OF PROJECT
Scientific research (In progress)